Illustrated with six tissue-guarded plates and sixteen wood engravings. 304 pages. This classic volume, first published in a limited edition in 1875, traces the early history of golf at St. Andrews, Musselburgh and Bruntsfield. In the intervening eighteen years, some additional works were discovered, thus prompting this revised edition. Clark describes his editorial efforts as "a collection of scraps and patches, many of them, however, have a historico-antiquarian interest". Quoting Joe Murdoch from his bibliography, "A collection of writings compiled by an Edinburgh printer, who was an enthusiastic golfer. One of the most important contributions to the library of golf and one of the most handsomely produced of all golf books, even to this date." Quoting Donovan & Jerriss bibliography: "Widely regarded as one of the most significant, as well as best produced, early books on the history of golf."